p: (416) 360-2611
Brett Rideout is a partner at Genest Murray LLP.
Since being called to the Bar in 2001, Brett has focussed exclusively on insurance law and litigation. Brett has successfully conducted trials (both judge alone and jury) on behalf of his clients and has appeared at all levels of court in Ontario.
Brett’s practice focuses on complex litigation matters. Brett provides counsel on claims arising from professional negligence, occupier’s liability, education law, product liability and property damage.
Brett also provides counsel for his insurance clients on first party coverage issues, including claims arising from allegation of bad faith and fraud, as well as coverage advice under property and boiler and machinery policies of insurance.
Over the years Brett has developed an expertise in the area of subrogation. He has vast experience in subrogated property claims on behalf of most major insurers in Canada and the United States successfully recovering millions of dollars for his clients. Brett is a Chair of the Canadian Chapter of the National Association of Subrogation Professionals.
- McMaster University B.A. Combined Hons. 1996
- University of Western Ontario Law School LL.B. 1999
- Law Society of Upper Canada Call to the Bar 2001
- 2007-2013 Chair, NASP Canadian Chapter Meeting
- 2011 – Canadian Defence Lawyers – Property Damage Seminar – Subrogation Procedure
- 2009 – Federated Press – Insurance Law – the (mis)application of the Anti-Subrogation Rule
- 2009 – Speaker, Auto Subrogation in Canada, NASP Annual Conference (Colorado Springs)
- 2007 – Chair, NASP Inaugural Meeting Toronto
- 2006 – Speaker, Property Subrogation in Canada, NASP Annual Conference (Orlando)
- 2004 – O.I.A.A. Without Prejudice, “Social Host Liability”
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals – Canadian Chapter Chair
- Advocates’ Society
- Toronto Lawyers’ Association
- Canadian Bar Association